Selling a dental case to a social personality
It’s tough to sell a dental cosmetic case to a “social personality.”
This patient is effusively friendly, annoyingly loquacious and spends at least 80 percent of the consult time chit chatting over everything but the treatment plan and price.
“I’ll think about it, or talk it over with my spouse…and definitely get back to you.”
Social personalities are not easy buyers of cosmetic dentistry or orthodontic treatment.
- Expect to spend more time than you would often like in the rapport-building process.
- Take care to create a warm, friendly environment for discussion.
- Prepare to take most of the questions used within the probing sequence of the analysis stage in a positive direction.
- Social personalities react negatively to fear tactics or motivation through consequence and tend to shut down. So tread lightly into the what may happen if they don’t opt for treatment.
- Do not be deceived by the social personality. They are easy to talk with; but not easy to move to treatment. Why? The careers of social personalities are often centered around meeting with salespeople.
Your staff can help you
You may want to elicit the help of your front desk-patient coordinators who can share their assessment of a patient’s first call, prior to the first consult. Training front desk or patient coordinators to adroitly handle that call and segue that information is essential for a streamlined strategy.
Same holds true for your hygienists’ chair side communications with the social personality. Place clear notes in charts for the hgyienist to “bring up” the subject of veneers, bonding, or periodontal treatments, when appropriate. Just ensure that hygienists know that social personalities are difficult to commit to treatment, and regularly-scheduled cleanings.
Don’t give up on the social personality. These are patients that require you, the TC, hygienists and assistants to “plant seeds” that may not harvest…until one or more years later.
When all is said and done, your instincts and intuition will be your most important sales arsenal, as well as your patience.
And, get used to a little chit chat.